Live music is one of the many wonderful things to be enjoyed in Second Life. First-class performers and hard-working managers and hosts deserve our support not only to show our appreciation but also so that our enjoyment can continue.

Where else can we enjoy such excellent live music at such a small cost ? Show your Linden Love !!!

Saint Skytower at Sunset Jazz Club - 4pm Tuesday 26 April 2011

"x


Saint Skytower is an established performer in Second Life, a professional blues, rock and jazz singer in both SL and the real world.  He sings covers to backing tracks and streams live from Washington DC.  On his profile he tells us :))


I'm a mad scientist! ... No really, I'm not kidding. 
I make maps. 
I am a part-time tree farmer. 
I teach at university sometimes. 
I'm a grad student. 
I'm a rock and roll star!

**<>*Go SAINT Go!  *<>**


Dottie and I have listened to Saint half a dozen times, not only at Sunset Jazz Club on Tuesdays where he is the first of the dream team - Saint, Vincent and Ganjo, but also at Hotlanta Blues on Sunday nights.  His song list is extensive from a number of genres, his show is very entertaining,  and we enjoy it every time !! 
x
x
His stream is in :)) ... happy crowd noises are heard in anticipation !!

" Check, check, test 1, 2 !! "

And a very sexy lady's voice introduces him -
" Saint Skytower presents the rock and blues show "
" The one and only Saint Skytower !! "


Saint tells us that he's been dodging thunderstorms outside all day.


He opened with a nice, happy slightly funky rock song, one of englishman Peter Frampton's best known hits  Show Me The Way


I wonder how you're feeling
There's ringing in my ears
And no one to relate to except the sea

Who can I believe in ?
I'm kneeling on the floor
There has to be a force, who do I phone ?

The stars are out and shining
But all I really want to know
Oh, won't you show me the way every day ?
I want you, show me the way
...... ..... ....




Then he slowed it down with a powerful rendition of Drift Away a big hit for Texan, Dobie Gray in 1973.


Day after day I'm more confused
So I look for the light in the pouring rain
You know that's a game that I hate to lose
I'm feelin' the strain, ain't it a shame

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

....... ..... ....


Saint's voice is rough, husky, sexy.  Yes, Saint pours his heart and soul into his music !!


Siobban Smythe - Saint's booking agent


More rock followed with Los Angeles band Buffalo Springfield's 1967 hit  For What It's Worth


There's somethin' happenin' here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Tellin' me, I got to beware
...... ..... ....


" We're gonna mix it up here ... do some blues and jazz and rock and other stuff "


Next came some slow, powerful blues with Mississippian Magic Slim's 1977 song  Born On A Bad Sign

" Well I consider myself the luckiest guy here todayIf I'm the luckiest you must be having a real bad time !! "

Sunset Jazz Club's Hostess - Angelstar


Another great blues song followed with Creedence Clearwater Revival's Midnight Special 

Well, you wake up in the mornin', you hear the work bell ring,
And they march you to the table to see the same old thing.
Ain't no food upon the table, and no pork up in the pan.
But you better not complain, boy, you get in trouble with the man.

Let the Midnight Special shine a light on me
...... ..... ....
 " Shine On Saint! "



He gave an excellent and tuneful rendition of the California rock band, Counting Crows 1993 hit  Rain King -


When I think of heaven (Deliver me in a black-winged bird)
I think of flying down into a sea of pens and feathers
and all other instruments of faith and sex and God
In the belly of a black-winged bird
Don't try to feed me
I've been here before and I deserve a little more

I belong in the service of the Queen I belong anywhere but in between
She's been crying I've been thinking And I am the Rain King

...... ..... ....


Oh !!  Siobban will be happy to make me a Sinner !  Well, that's ok with me :)) His group Saints Sinners has 147 members.


*•¸¸. ***THE SAINT SKYTOWER ROCK 'n BLUES SHOW!***.¸¸•*


Steve Goodman's 1970 song written in the Illinois Central Station was next. The City of New Orleans was covered and popularised by Arlo Guthrie.

Good mornin' America how are ya ?
Said don't you know me I'm your native son ?
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans
I'll be gone 500 miles when the day is done
...... ..... ....

" The best train tune ever written !! "
" Nice to be here on a fabulous Monday "
" Oh no it's Tuesday !! been here 2 years, still don't know what day it is !! "


Then a 1974 song  Come Monday by Mobile, Alabama's Jimmy Buffet.


Antonia and Richard


Saint demonstrated how easily he switches between genres.  Akron's James Ingram's 1981 funky hit  Just Once was followed by Mississippian B.B. King's powerful  How Blue Can You Get

Ive been down hearted baby
Ever since the day we met
I said ive been down hearted baby
Ever since the day we met
Our love is nothing but the blues
Baby, how blue can you get ?



**** SAINT IS THE BLUES  MAN ****


Englishman Eric Clapton's  Change The World  is a beautiful, mellow song and Saint did it great justice with his excellent rendition.

If I could reach the stars, I'd pull one down for you
Shine it on my heart, so you could see the truth
That this love I have inside, is everything it seems
But for now I find, it's only in my dreams
That I can change the world
I would be the sunlight in your universe
You would think my love was really something good
Baby, if I could, change the world
If I could be king, even for a day
I'd take you as my queen, I'd have it no other way
And our love will rule, in this kingdom we have made


" Sinners Can Change The World!! "





Then came a 1955 rock and roll song written by Mississippi's Willie Dixon for Louisiana's Little Walter - My Babe


My baby don't stand no cheatin', my babe
Oh yeah she don't stand no cheatin', my babe
Oh yeah she don't stand no cheatin',
She don't stand none of that midnight creepin'
My babe, true little baby, my babe



 " OOOOOOO Good Song! " 


There were only about a dozen people in the audience !!  Saint deserves more support than that !!


Georgia On My Mind  has an interesting history !!  Wikipedia tells us that it's a song written in 1930 by Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell.  Gorrell wrote the lyrics for Hoagy's sister Georgia. Ray Charles a native of Georgia recorded and popularised it in 1960 and it became Georgia's state song in 1979. 


New Jersey's Paul Simon's  1977 song  Slip Slidin' Away was the last we heard 

Slip slidin' away
Slip slidin' away
You know the nearer your destination
The more you're slip slidin' away

I know a man
He came from my home town
He wore his passion for his woman
Like a thorny crown
He said Dolores
I live in fear
My love for you's so overpowering
I'm afraid that I will disappear



He crashed 5 minutes before the end after 14 songs :((

Words which sum up Saint for me are - confident, enjoyable, strong and varied. His songs flow freely, he makes them his own with his own style.  He interacts with his audience well.


More about Saint and many other Second Life live music performers can be found in our linked blog - HERE






We now know that the thunderstorms of Tuesday were a precursor to the ferocious storms and tornadoes which hit south-eastern USA with such tragic loss of life on Wednesday.  Our thoughts are with all of you in the affected areas.




Here is the SLURL to get to The Sunset Jazz Club
x

No comments:

Post a Comment