Live music is one of the many wonderful things to be enjoyed in Second Life. First-class performers and hard-working managers and hosts deserve our support not only to show our appreciation but also so that our enjoyment can continue.

Where else can we enjoy such excellent live music at such a small cost ? Show your Linden Love !!!

Mamaa Saiz at The LODGE - Thursday 7 April 2011

x
x
On Thursday night Dottie and I went to listen to a very entertaining new singer at The LODGE, part of The Bluffs Centre for the Arts.  Mamaa Saiz  is a newcomer to performing in SL but he has played around Texas for many years including over a decade with the Kings of Komedy, Bowley and Wilson on the popular North Dallas Greenville Avenue nightlife strip. 
x

Mamaa plays acoustic guitar without backing tracks and his music ranges from jazz classics to country and western with some comedy and tear jerkers along the way.  He has been influenced by many musicians including Carlos Jobim, Glen Frye, James Taylor, and more. 

x
We arrived a minute or two late and may have missed the first song.  We rezzed, settled in and started to dance to a nice happy upbeat opener Red Rubber Ball by The Cyrkle.


Mamaa followed with Jonathan Edwards lively blues song Shanty   

Gonna sit down in the kitchen
and fix me something good to eat
and make my head a little high
make the whole day complete
cuz we're gonna lay around the shanty momma
and put a good buzz on  ...... ..... 

Our first impressions were really good and we knew straight away that we were going to enjoy ourselves :))  Mamaa's voice is mellow, mixed with some huskiness and he plays great acoustic guitar.  He combines an easy going, entertaining personality with talent and professionalism.


A Summer Song by the english 1960's duo Chad and Jeremy added to the good vibes. 

Trees swayin in the summer breeze
showing off their silver leaves 
as we walked by
Soft kisses on a summer's day
laughing all our cares away
Just you and I ...........

Hey this is happy and romantic too !!  We were all smiles :))  This was Mamaa's first time at Bluffs, and he was doing brilliantly !!

Next came californian country music artist James House's song -
This is Me Missing You

Mamaa introduced each song by giving us it's history.  He told us not only who wrote it and first sung it, but also who else had sung it, what had happened to them all, and which was his favourite version ! 

He changed the mood again, this time to magical and romantic with Glenn Frey's Lover's Moon 

...... ..... .... ...
Lover's moon, won't you shine on me?
I'm dancing with a memory
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have one last chance to hold her tight
Waiting, I know she's waiting
I know she waits for me under the lover's moon



Dottie and I continued slow dancing to the Fleetwoods 1959 No. 1 hit -
Mr Blue 

Our guardian star lost all his glow the day that I lost you
he lost all his glitter the day you said no 
and his silver turned to blue
like him I am doubtful that your love is true
but if you decide to call me
ask for Mr Blue ........

Yes Mamaa can sing in the style of the crooners as well :)) 

His seventh song was Breaking Up Is Hard To Do by Neil Sedaka and the next Go Now a 1964 song composed by Larry Banks and Milton Bennett. It was first recorded by Bessie Banks, and most successfully by The Moody Blues.

We've already said ...... Goodbye
Since you've got to go oh you had better go now !!
Go now!  Go now! Go now .....
Before you see me cry.
I don't want you to tell me just what you intend to do now .....
'Cause how many times do I have to tell you
Darlin, darlin, I'm still in love with you now

whoa oh oh oh !!

Bluffs hostess Shady Forsythe had recommended Mamaa to me.  Shady has great taste in music :))  Half way through there were only 11 people in the audience and Mamaa has far more potential than that !!


Mamaa explained that the next song was one of his favourites and why we do what we do on the stage.

The Stories We Can Tell by The Lovin' Spoonful's John B. Sebastian 1974

Talkin' to myself again
Wonderin' if this travellin' is good
Is there somethin' else a' doin'
We'd be doin' if we could

But ah, the stories we could tell
And if it all blows up and goes to Hell
I wish that we could sit upon a bed in some motel
Listen to the stories we could tell 

Someone in the audience yelled  -
" I don't think I'd want to hear the stories a motel bed could tell "


The rhythm changed and tempo increased with a really neat 1944 song by saxophonist Louis Jordan - 

Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby

I got a girl who'se always late any time we have a date
but I love her ... yes I love her
I'm gonna walk right up to her gate
and see if I can can get it straight
cos I want her I'm gonna ask her
Is you is or is you ain't my baby .......


That was 11 songs already and masses of time remained.  Mamaa really keeps things moving right along with good balance of music and conversation.

Somebody in the audience commented that the next was a gorgeous song almost forgotten about completely  Hope For Us All  by Nick Lowe

People are remarkin on the change
That's come over me
It can be explained very easily
out of the blue
someone came into my world
and now I'm walkin tall
and if even I can find someone
there's hope for us all ..... ....

And, yes that's true, not only did we find a great new singer but we also heard a great set which included plenty of 'new' old songs - not the standard stuff.

Mamaa changed the mood again with some sad songs - he told us he had to get them out of his system.  Kris Kristofferson wrote For The Good Times  in 1970.  Later Ray Price recorded a version which topped the US country music charts.

Don't look so sad I know it's over
..... .... ...
Lay your head upon my pillow hold your warm and tender body close to mine
Hear the whisper of the raindrops blowing soft against the window
And make believe you love me one more time for the good times


Then came Bobby Goldsboro's sad tune See The Funny Little Clown

See the funny little clown see him laughing as you walk by
everybody thinks he's happy cos you never see a tear in his eye
no one knows he's cryin 
no one knows he's dyin on the inside
cos he's laughin on the outside ....



Mamaa introduced his favourite closing song Still Got the Blues For You and dedicated it to blues rock guitarist and singer Gary Moore a fallen warrior.

Moore died while on holiday in Spain with his young girlfriend in February this year.  Mamaa joked in the nicest way possible -  " That's the way I want to go - on vacation is Spain with Gary Moore's young girlfriend :)) "


Wow that was 17 or 18 songs in the hour !!


Mamaa has a very pleasant manner, he's very comfortable with his audience, has an easy, relaxed competence and is a great entertainer.  He's interesting not only because he plays a variety of music including lovely but forgotten songs but also because he has great experience and knowledge of his songs.


He'll be back at The LODGE in 2 weeks and I'll be there to listen !!

More about Mamaa and many other Second Life live music performers can be found in our linked blog - HERE



Here is the SLURL to get to the The LODGE

x

No comments:

Post a Comment