Live music is one of the many wonderful things to be enjoyed in Second Life. First-class performers and hard-working managers and hosts deserve our support not only to show our appreciation but also so that our enjoyment can continue.

Where else can we enjoy such excellent live music at such a small cost ? Show your Linden Love !!!

Kelvinblue Oh at the Cottonfield Stage, Saturday 16th April 2011



There was another great night of blues at the Cottonfield Stage last Saturday night !!  For Dottie and I anything at The Cottonfield Stage is a "must go" event and Skeat had ably organised another great line-up of performers for all to enjoy as follows:

6 PM Tone Uriza
7 PM Dan Lange Diavolo
8 PM Kelvinblue Oh
9 PM Strat Carver
10 PM Tribute to Johnny Winter by Lightening Productions


Dottie had given me great reports of Kelvinblue Oh and he was the one I wanted to blog this time.  Thanks Dottie :))




Born in Houston, Texas, Kelvinblue Oh is a bluesman with his heart in The Delta. His bio tells us that "he does Hendrix and Zydeco among other types of music.  Kevin Allen Navy (Composer, Guitarist and Lead Vocalist) AKA "Kelvinblue Oh" Founder of Knavy and the Blues On The Run Band.  Kelvinblue Oh will rock your venue or event with his amazing mix of electric blues and rock"  

x
Big Daddy Blues Tone Uriza opened quietly and thoughtfully with some soulful and heartfelt blues.  He was really on top form !!  Dan Lange Diavolo continued in the same quiet vein.  For me the blues rock of Kelvinblue Oh took the event to another level of excitement but then blues rock always scores more highly with me.


  

His rousing opener was ZZ Top's  I Thank You 

You didn't have to love me like you did
But you did, but you did.
And I thank you.
You didn't have to love me like you did
But you did, but you did.
And I thank you.
But you took your love to someone else
I wouldn't know what it meant to be loved to death



Yes Kelvinblue rocks !!   great guitar ... deep voice ... great backing track !!


Then he switched to a slow blues number written and recorded by Walter Davis in 1940 Come Back Baby 


Oh come back, baby
Oh mama please dont go, yeah
Cause the way I love you
Child you'll never know

Oh come back baby, yeah yeah
Let's talk it over one more time
Oh now now

Well I admit, baby
That I was wrong
Don't you know, baby
Child you been gone too long



The song was later covered and popularised by Ray Charles in 1954, then Aretha Franklin covered the song in a faster-paced version in 1967.  Eric Clapton covered it on his 2001 studio album Reptile.



Hey y'all the blues is on!!!!


More tuneful blues rock followed :))  The pace stepped up a gear with
Blue Sky by The Allman Brothers Band.  I really loved everything about this one !!


Walk along the river ... sweet lullaby
It just keeps on flowin' ... it don't worry 'bout where it's going ... no, no

Don't fly Mister bluebird I'm just walkin' down the road
Early mornin' sunshine tells me all I need to know

You're my blue sky ... you're my sunny day
Lord, you know it makes me high when you turn your love my way ... turn your love my way ... yeah

Good ol' Sunday mornin' bells are ringin' everywhere
Goin' to Carolina ... won't be long til I'll be there ...... ..... ....


                -:????:-., KELVIN!   *´¨ )
                   ¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•*¨)       ,.-:????:-.,  
               (¸.•´ (¸.•´ (¸.•*´¯`*  RIDE THOSE STRINGS




He played Jimi Hendrix Bleeding Heart with the power and energy of the original and The Cottonfield rocked with the steaminess of the real Mississippi Delta !!


peoples, peoples, peoples
you know what it means to be left alone
peoples, peoples, people
you know what it means to be left alone
yeah
lord it happened today
lord not even a call on my telephone
understandin'
lord a little love in the
world is all I need

...... ..... ....
my baby caused my poor heart to bleed


KELVIN ..YOU ROCK THE BLUES  LIKE NO OTHER !!!


Willie Dixon's deep blues rock Hoochie Coochie Man was a major hit for Muddy Waters in 1954


The gypsy woman told my mother before I was born,
You got a boy-child comin' gonna be a son of a gun.
Gonna make pretty women jump and shout,
Then the world gonna know what this all about.

But you know I'm here.
Everybody knows I'm here.
Well you know I'm the hoochie coochie man
Everybody knows I'm here ..... .....



Kelvinblue gave a great soulful rendition of this much-covered and popular song !! There were 23 people in the audience ... not a massive crowd but the important thing was that we were listening to quality performers of excellent music and having great fun !!





After a great instrumental version of Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues Kelvinblue played Hendrix's Spanish Castle Magic inspired by Jimi's high school days when he regularly visited a dance hall called The Spanish Castle. The club was south of Seattle and was built in the 1930s outside the city to avoid Seattle's then restrictive nightclub laws.


Kelvinblue's closing song was Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet. This is a happy, swinging very unbluesy song with a real country feel.  Named after a cocktail, the margarita, and with lyrics reflecting a laid-back lifestyle in a tropical climate.


Nibblin' on sponge cake
Watchin' the sun bake
All of those tourists covered with oil
Strummin' my six-string
On my front porch swing
Smell those shrimp; they're beginning to boil.

Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searching for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But I know it's nobody's fault 


It was a great choice of a nice happy song to finish his set on.



Dottie and I really enjoyed our evening at the Cottonfield :))  It's a very hospitable and well-run venue, full of real character and atmosphere and a credit to all those who have created it.  We definitely got the real deal with Kelvinblue Oh who put on a great performance building on the two who had preceded him.  We will definitely seek him out to listen to again !!




Opposite the permanent Cottonfield Stage an impressive stage set for the Johnny Winter Tribute tempted me try and stay awake but living at SLT + 8 makes it impossible for me to hear all the great music I would like in SL and unfortunately Saturday was no exception :(  So I hope to catch Strat Carver and the tribute to Johnny Winter at a future date.  John Dawson "Johnny" Winter is the american blues guitarist singer and producer known for his southern blues and rock and roll style.  




Thanks once again to Powell Goodman and Lee Marchant the venue owners for giving such great support to blues music by making their beautiful Mississippi Delta sim available for this event !!  Thanks to Skeat Abonwood for her tremendous organization and hosting !  


Last but not least thanks to the artists themselves who really gave of their best to make the event so enjoyable and successful !!


Here's the SLURL to get to the Cottonfield Stage
x

1 comment:

  1. We are very saddened to hear the news that Kevin passed away in his sleep while on tour in Germany on 13 July 2011. We've lost a very great bluesman.

    ReplyDelete