Live music is one of the many wonderful things to be enjoyed in Second Life. First-class performers and hard-working managers and hosts deserve our support not only to show our appreciation but also so that our enjoyment can continue.

Where else can we enjoy such excellent live music at such a small cost ? Show your Linden Love !!!

Frets Nirvana - Port of Hana Friday 21 January 2011


Frets is another artist whom I've heard sing and play more than once before. On Friday I was excited to have the opportunity to go and listen to him again, this time at the beach venue of Port of Hana !!

His bio tells us that he grew up in the rock and roll city of Cleveland, Ohio. While playing guitar for as long as he can remember, his love of that instrument developed into a focus on acoustic fingerstyle guitar.  His wide musical influences included fingerstyle masters Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, classic blues and rock players such as Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page and the Gypsy Swing player Django Reinhardt.



.
Frets began his show with a light and pleasant tune from Nashville's Country Music populariser Chet Atkins - Trombone


Next was one of my favourite pieces of the evening when Frets really opened up and gave a great rendition of California rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival's - Suzy Q  Frets stamped so much of his own personality on this one that in my view it was even better than the original !


Oh Susie Q, 
Oh Susie Q, 
Oh Susie Q, baby I love you, Susie Q. 

I like the way you walk, 
I like the way you talk, 
I like the way you walk, I like the way you talk, Susie Q. 

...... ..... .... ...


Then with what sounded like loose nuts and bolts jumping about in his guitar Frets took us to the Junkyard !! He gave a brilliant and imaginative rendition of the  old blues song - Dig my grave with a silver spade 


He followed with an awesome instrumental and a very original rendition of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody


Oklahoma's country singer Merle Haggard released 3 singles in 1969 - Hungry Eyes, Okie from Muskogee and Fret's next piece - Workin' Man Blues


It's a big job just gettin' by with nine kids and a wife
I been a workin' man dang near all my life
I'll be working long as my two hands are fit to use
I'll drink my beer in a tavern,
Sing a little bit of these working man blues



I checked the map and found 31 in the audience !  Not bad but he deserves better !!


Using acoustic, resonator and electric guitars Frets sound is amazingly varied. His music has a throbbing, stomping and sometimes swampy style with great percussion !!


Next Frets stamped his personality and authority on the much-covered 1956 song by Screamin' Jay Hawkins -  
I Put A Spell On You 

I put a spell on you !
because you're mine !!
...... ..... .... ...
Stop the things you do
I ain't lyin ......
 ...... ..... .... ...
Yeah !!!!!!

His strong, deep individual style of singing and imaginative guitar playing are always interesting, though his singing was not quite as wild as Hawkins original :)



Next Frets gave a wonderful instrumental interpretation of While My Guitar Gently Weeps a song written by George Harrison and first performed by The Beatles.


His final piece was an instrumental by the influential european jazz musician Django Reinhardt.  Yet again this illustrates his wide variety of styles and colours of music.

At times someone set off an amazing coloured particle effect which almost equalled the colour of Frets performance.  The whole venue had a fantastic party like atmosphere ! What a great evening's entertainment !!






Frets was followed on stage by british folk singer Russell Eponym who paid him the well-deserved compliment of being the most amazing guitarist on the internet.


More about Frets and many other Second Life live music performers can be found in our linked blog - HERE


Port of Hana is located on the adult-rated gorean sim of Nyatiem.  Whether you are into gorean role-play or not the sim is a beautiful place to explore. There are mountains, forests, secluded beaches, wild-flower meadows, teepees, lodges and camp fires. The three girls above were just part of the audience !!


Here's the SLURL to get to Nyatiem:
http://slurl.com/secondlife/Nyatiem/28/236/23/


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! Frets has long been one of my very favorite performers in SL. His depth of artistry can't be beat unless it's by his genuine kindness and indomitable human spirit. I'm pleased and humbled to know him and his work!


    PreSoul Darwinian
    Bluffs Center for the Arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written Gold. Loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Bluffs :)) Dottie and I heard Frets perform again last night and as always we enjoyed his show !!

    Thank you Shady :)) I enjoyed writing it :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there ...I really appreciate this great review. I am humbled by it really ...and I can tell you I will always give it my all when playing for my friends in SL! Thank you!! Frets Nirvana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Frets :)) You were on top form last night at Nance Brody's Pub and did a great job for War Child !!

    ReplyDelete