Live music is one of the many wonderful things to be enjoyed in Second Life. First-class performers and hard-working managers and hosts deserve our support not only to show our appreciation but also so that our enjoyment can continue.

Where else can we enjoy such excellent live music at such a small cost ? Show your Linden Love !!!

Travis Darmoset at Molaskey's Pub - 6pm Monday 29 August 2011

x
x
Travis Darmoset has recently returned to performing in Second Life after a break for the best of reasons, his new baby :))  Born in Kentucky and graduating with a degree in vocal composition at Belmont University, Nashville, Travis plays piano and sings his thoughtful originals and covers in his own cool and gentle style.




Dottie and I heard him for the first time last week at Bree Birke's Nitida Ridge venue.  We were charmed and thrilled by his performance and caught up with him again on Monday at Molaskey's Pub Bonfire Beach.
x
x
In fact Travis first song Bennie and the Jets by Elton John was a lively opener.  


Hey kids, shake it loose together
The spotlight's hitting something
That's been known to change the weather
............
She's got electric boots, a mohair suit
You know I read it in a magazine
B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets
.................. 


Travis plays and sings with a light jazzy style, effortlessly with real talent !!


Katydid Something - Founder and Co-owner of Molaskey's


Turn Me On - Norah Jones

Like a flower waiting to bloom
Like a lightbulb in a dark room
I'm just sitting here waiting for you
To come on home and turn me on
....................

He sounds so good !!  ... the way he bends the notes when he hits that upper range is really thrilling, electrifying !!





It was the aftermath of Hurricane Irene ... the storm had reached New Jersey and Vermont ... " We hope all you guys on that east coast are ok "


Next was an original song ... he's working on recording a new album -            " Here I Am " 

" Actually a lot of the songs I wrote a while back but I'm kinda re-discovering and recording them ... like a fresh way ... trying to put together something more professional.


Anyway this is one of my favourites ... it's called Preconceptions ... and I wrote it as a poem first then the music came later which is not the typical way to write ... "
.........
still we find our preconceptions
grinning at us from dark corners
clawing at our hearts
envying our freedom
and we learn to dance to the rhythm we hear
as the wind shakes the trees
and our shadows grow longer
..........

This is a slow song, concentrating on the lyrics with light effortless melody on piano.
Applause !!


" Thank you guys that's very generous I appreciate it :)) "




" We may have some people listening outside of SL tonight ... I'm not sure, but if you are ... Hello :)

Maybe some Nashville people, maybe some Atlanta people ... if you're out there say something on the blog or Facebook or something so I know you are here if you don't mind. "


If I Only Had A Brain - from the 1939 film Wizard of Oz

I could while away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain
And my head I'd be a scratchin'
While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain
....................

He does this one much more slowly ... warmly, more thoughtfully ... more romantically, more jazzy piano ...


" Beautifully done !!  lovely !!


Dancing almost on stage ourselves :)


" It's fun to be back at Molaskey's this is a really cool place ... I always wish this place existed in real life ... this big stage in the ocean right beside the beach ... it's awesome !


I'm gonna do this really cool thing on Saturday ... something I've never done before ... at Bree Birke's venue ... I'm gonna do this set of original music ... it's gonna be live originals ... I'm just gonna create it Saturday morning ... show up for that if you want to.


I hope you guys are tipping Molaskey's more than you tip me because it's nice to have some places where I can play ... Please if you're enjoying this, tip the venue "

My Life - Billy Joel 


Got a call from an old friend, we used to be real close
Said he couldn't go on the American way
Closed the shop, sold the house, bought a ticket to the west coast
Now he gives them a stand-up routine in L.A.
..........................


This is tailor-made for Travis voice and style !!  His rendition is brilliant !!


There were 11 people half way through ... some on the east coast USA were still without power.


Cicadetta Stillwater helps to host at Molaskey's


" Here's another original ... this song is one that I wrote with a friend in the year 2000. It's from the perspective of the homeless person ... and I really like this song ... it's called The Funny Feeling


I can't hardly sleep at night
I think my bed is made of stone
and in the daytime I hold a cardboard sign
stand beneath the bridge I call my own


I watch the passing cars
I've learnt to count the hours
till darkness brings them
waitin for the light to turn green
tryin not to let me catch their eye


I know that as they drive away
they will do their level best
to forget that I'm alive
................


This is a slow, soulful, bluesy song    " Awesome !! "




Your Song - Elton John


It's a little bit funny this feelin' inside
I'm not one of those who can easily hide
Don't have much money but boy if I did
I'd buy a big house where we both could live
.........................


This was not so powerful or loud as Elton's original.  The baby was sleeping in the next room and he didn't want to wake her up :))


" Thank you Katy for letting me play here "




Fly Me To The Moon was written by Bart Howard in 1954 and released as "In Other Words"  sung by Kaye Ballard.  Johnny Mathis was first with the new title in 1956.  The song has since been covered by very many famous singers and the arrangement by Quincy Jones sung by Frank Sinatra is perhaps the best known.


Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars
......................


In other words, please be true
In other words, in other words
I love ... you


Again quiet and romantic with warmth in his voice ... turning into boogie woogie ... great piano and scat


" LOVE this song "




Fields of Gold - Sting


You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in the fields of gold
............................


This was so neat ... with his own quiet, gentle interpretation ... and some reverb on piano


" It takes an ability to sit here with no sensory input except maybe visual once in a while and still feel like you're in a concert. It's hard for my brain to believe there's a whole bunch of you out there. "


Travis did brilliantly !! as members of the audience Dottie and I certainly felt we were at a concert ... where the audience can interact with the performer with a closeness and intimacy which real world concerts often don't provide.




Now one of the greatest songs of all time Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan


How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man ?
Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand ?
.....................

Very slow, thoughtfully and modestly done :))

" Bree Birke claps ! "





" Country songs ... haven't done any country songs ... one of the best country songs I've ever heard I'm gonna do for you right now ... 

In Color - Jamey Johnson

I said grandpa what's this picture here
It's all black and white it ain't real clear
Is that you there ? He said yeah I was 11
............
Times were tough back in '35

This is a very sentimental song, revealing the real stories behind grey photographs.


The Irish tricolour flies above Molaskey's

" It's not good to have your piano completely in the dark ... got 2 keyboards and the one I'm playing is in the dark and I can't see it ... I'm just guessing some of these are black keys and some are white and I don't know which ones are which ... "

Don't Get Around Much Any More - the Ink Spots 1943


Missed the Saturday dance
Heard they crowded the floor
Couldn't bear it without you
Don't get around much any more
...................


He finished on a high note with some swing jazz :))


" I appreciate the opportunity to be here at Molaskey's and appreciate all you guys coming to listen "

Next to sing was Stratus Mactavish here in the red shirt


Travis is a very talented composer and performer, as well as being a really nice modest guy with a social conscience.  He is very entertaining with a wonderful and professional style, and with much more great music to come !! 


Further information about Travis Darmoset can be found in our linked blog Here




Here's the SLurl to get to Molaskey's Pub
x

No comments:

Post a Comment