Live music is one of the many wonderful things to be enjoyed in Second Life. First-class performers and hard-working managers and hosts deserve our support not only to show our appreciation but also so that our enjoyment can continue.

Where else can we enjoy such excellent live music at such a small cost ? Show your Linden Love !!!

Vincent Merricks at Sunset Jazz Club - 5pm Tuesday 10 May 2011


x
x
Vincent Merricks plays centre in Tuesday night's Dream Team between wingers Saint Skytower and Ganjo Mokeev.  The three artists are very complementary with Vincent playing great blues, rock and country between Saint's blues and Ganjo's funk.  I'm sure Vincent won't mind the ice-hockey metaphor :)


Real life Todd Cody has been writing and performing for over 20 years. As a solo performer or with various bands he's played for lodges, bars and lounges in Massachusetts, Arizona and Florida.  He's written songs in many genres including pop, blues and jazz.  Todd plays original songs as well as blues, country, jazz, oldies and rock covers. He plays live guitar on top of his own backing tracks, and sings with and without backing tracks.
x
x

In fact Vince began with the blues standard I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man It was written by Willie Dixon and first performed in 1954 by Muddy Waters generally considered the Father of modern Chicago blues.  Wikipedia tells us that the Hoochie Coochie was a sexually provocative belly-dance which became wildly popular during the Chicago World Fair of 1893 !!  It was performed by women of an eastern european gypsy heritage and the show was either run or watched by a goochie man who was notably successful with women.  Gooch, goochie or gootchie was already a Southern US term for a woman's private parts and hoochie coochie has been suggested as referring directly to sex.


The gypsy woman told my mother
Before I was born
I got a boy child's comin'
He's gonna be a son of a gun
He gonna make pretty women's
Jump and shout
...... ..... ....
I got a black cat bone
I got a mojo too
I got the Johnny Concheroo
I'm gonna mess with you
I'm gonna make you girls 
Lead me by the hand
...... ..... ....
Oh you know I'm the hoochie coochie man
Everybody knows I'm him


Saint Skytower and Siobban


Next Vince sang Santana's Black Magic Woman  His voice is mellow and vibrant.  He's easy-going, well-established and relaxed, at ease with his audience.


And then he sang with the real confidence and ownership of the writer !!  It was one of his originals  It's Nothing  


Newbies meet :))


Yes the Sunset Jazz Club is a lovely place to meet.  Dottie and I began dancing almost on that very spot 44 weeks ago :))



Vince followed with a very appropriate country song by Toby Keith
I Love This Bar

I love this bar
It's my kind of place
Just walkin' through the front door
Puts a big smile on my face
It ain't too far, come as you are
Hmm, hmm, hmm I love this bar


Then came another country song  Making Memories Of Us  It was written by Rodney Crowell and first recorded by Tracy Byrd in 2003.  New Zealander Keith Urban made it a Number One Hit in 2004.


I'm gonna be here for you baby
And I'll be a man of my word
Speak a language in a voice that you have never heard
I wanna sleep with you forever
And I wanna die in your arms
In a cabin by a meadow where the wild bees swarm
And I'm gonna love you like nobody loves you
And I'll earn your trust making memories of us
...... ..... ....


*:;;:* Absolutely Beautiful *:;;:*


One of my favourite songs, Vincent sang it so very well, with the great feeling it needs :)))  Vince's voice is perfect for country and he does much much more.




Then Vince changed gear !!  And we rocked to a medley of three great songs by British band Dire Straits.  The band emerged during the post-punk era of the late 1970's and built their sound on laid-back pub-rock, with a hint of country.  The three songs Sultans of Swing followed by Money For Nothing and then The Walk Of Life spanned the years 1978 1986.


Here comes Johnny singing oldies, goldies
Be-Bop-A-Lula, Baby What I Say
Here come Johnny singing I Gotta Woman
Down in the tunnel, trying to make it pay
He got the action, he got the motion
Oh Yeah the boy can play
...... ..... ....
He do the walk, he do the walk of life, yeah he do the walk of life
Woohoo !!





Rockin Robin written by Leon René of Louisiana has been covered by a myriad of singers.  The most popular versions are Bobby Day's 1958 Hit and Michael Jackson's from 1972.  


He rocks in the tree-top all a day long
Hoppin' and a-boppin and a-singin' the song
All the little birds on J-Bird street
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet
...... ..... ....


Vince's enthusiasm came through again :))  This song always gets great audience participation at Sunset Jazz Club with many -


twiddly dee dee and tweet tweet !!! and * :::: •  T • W• E • E • T • ::: :  *



Finally we relaxed happily with that great dance tune, BB King's Blues Man


I've travelled for miles around
It seems like everybody wanna put me down
Because I'm a Blues man
But I'm a good man, understand
...... ..... ....


Teal Freenote relaxing before Ganjo's show


Dottie and I have listened to Vince many times and we always enjoy his show.  For an hour of relaxation and fun in an opulent and luxurious environment with great dance balls we always rate his show at the Sunset Jazz Club very highly indeed !!



Here's the SLURL to get to the Sunset Jazz Club
x

No comments:

Post a Comment